Community Columnists

The multi-faceted service of Gaydon

“We want people to know about the National Cemetery and the services it provides for the families of veterans,” Sharon Gaydon said. Read more

2 months ago by Staff Reports.

Remembering Mt. Tabor United Methodist Church

During the month of September 2020, the Board of Directors of Mt. Tabor United Methodist Church made the difficult decision to close the doors of ... Read more

Familiar face, generous heart

John Gaydon’s face is a familiar one at community events featuring veterans’ organizations, especially the Alabama National Cemetery (ALNC). Read more

SCAC High School Juried Art Exhibit is April 24

In March of 2020, the Shelby County Arts Council was looking forward to hosting their annual Statewide High School Juried Art Exhibit in their brand ... Read more

Billings caps 30-year Army career with volunteerism

After retiring from the military in 2015, James Billings was asked to write a speech for an ESGR Awards Dinner, for the former Chief of ... Read more

Cochran’s creations help people around the world

For the past 15 years, Carolyn Cochran has been a member of First Baptist Church of Alabaster’s Joyful Stitchers (J.S.) sewing club. Read more

3 months ago by Staff Reports.

Enjoy a day full of art on April 24

The Main Street organization in Columbiana plans to host what it hopes will be the first of an annual event that highlights both visual and ... Read more

After the storm

From the safety of my dad’s basement, I heard the infamous “train sound” of the storm blowing over the house, and my first thought was, ... Read more

Jensen serves her community wherever she goes

Karen Jensen's tenure as a volunteer in the community is extensive. Read more

Atkison spreads hope, comfort through knitting

Jeani Atkison’s volunteer role in the community has spanned several decades. Read more

Easter Bunny Tea was a first-class event

The fourth annual Easter Bunny Tea was a huge success at the Grande Hall in downtown Columbiana Saturday, March 13. Read more

Oestreich tirelessly volunteers in retirement

“I’ve always enjoyed volunteering. It gives me the opportunity to give back what I have been so fortunate to receive." Read more

Spreading love and the joy of reading

The Primrose School of Meadowbrook, collected over 200 books for the foster children of Shelby County in the month of February. Read more

Graduating foster kids deserve a strong start

The Shelby County Foster Parents Association is working early this year to make sure that eight of their graduating foster children are fully supported and ... Read more

‘Officer Woody’ makes COP organization complete

Started in December 1998, C.O.P. is an all-volunteer organization sponsored by the city of Chelsea, the Shelby County Sheriff's Office and Chelsea Fire and Rescue. Read more

< Newer | Older >