Montevallo City Council approved new fire truck
By Steven Calhoun/Staff Writer
The Montevallo City Council held a regularly scheduled meeting Monday, Nov. 14.
The council approved the purchase of a new fire truck for Montevallo Fire and Rescue, for which firemen in attendance expressed their gratitude. A public safety committee had been formed to decide what to do, and the recommendation of the committee was that a truck should be purchased. It will be next year before the truck is available to the department.
The Brownfield Grant from the Environmental Protection Agency is being pursued by the Chamber of Commerce to help move forward with projects in the town. The council approved the pursuit of the grant, which would allow assessment of any property where there might be concern over environmental contamination.
The grant could be as much as $300,000 in non-matching federal funding. Money from the grant could be used for assessment and planning of how to restore contaminated property.
In other business:
- The Chamber of Commerce is in talks with a businessman who is considering opening a microbrewery in Montevallo.
- A letter was read from the Sullivan family thanking the city for their support during the family’s recent loss.
- A proposal from the Montevallo Arts Council to remove an old radio tower, find a place to put a kiln and add three metal carports was discussed. Members of the council will meet with relevant department heads to examine the city’s options.
- Junior City Council President Leah Waites reported that some members of the Junior City Council would be volunteering at the Christmas parade.
- The beer and wine license for Fred’s was approved by the council.
- Employee handbook amendments are to be sent to a committee for review.
- The Recreational Trail Grant for $100,000 will build a pavilion and restroom facility at Shell Creek Park. The council is meeting with architects who did City Hall for ideas in a couple weeks, according to Mayor Hollie Cost. The city will have to bid for architects.
- The city’s website has been updated with a new layout and different color palette. The city’s organizational chart has been updated and can be found on the site.